Thursday, April 7, 2011

Facebook & Infertility

This is the current status update that I am seeing all over Facebook at the moment...



Infertility is a heart-wrenching, faith-questioning, relationship-testing, life-altering experience. April is Infertility Awareness Month. Whether a friend, a family member, a colleague or yourself has fought through this difficult fate that MILLIONS of women are fighting day in and day out. Post this as your status if you or someone you know has struggled at a chance to be a parent xxx



I haven't updated my status with it & I don't know why I most probably won't. I guess it's one thing to say we are Infertile... but entirely another thing to share that with all and sundry on Facebook you know? It probably comes down to not being comfortable being so completely out there when I know friends and family can and will read it. Which is really silly because with this blog, having changed back to my Carrose profile, I have literally opened up the option for those family and friends who have either of my blog address' to read if they were to stumble upon it. So why not Facebook?


I'm not embarrassed that we have and are suffering Infertility.


I'm not even too perturbed that we are basically throwing in the towel (albeit the towel was thrown in for us, so not really the same thing you know?) and it's still 'early days' in the bigger scheme of things.


Is it that much of a taboo subject (lord knows it is when talking with friends)


Am I adding to that Stigmatism it has in day to day life?   


To be totally honest, I guess I just don't want (((hugs))) and kisses xxx


I am only just now starting to deal with the fact that we won't be having another child (barring some divine miracle... think mother mary variety) and when I say just dealing, I really mean getting on with life and being too busy to think it through properly (ask me again around the operation next month ;) a



I believe that by sharing that side of my life on Facebook will just open up a whole new woe is me that I just can't be fucked dealing with right here and now. Particularly now head is finally feeling as though it's back on the straight and narrow at long last (for the interim).


I am reading that 1 in 8 couples are diagnosed with some form of Infertility


Interesting to note that of my 170 friends on Facebook (yes I have that many ;) 33 of them (mostly ones I have met online through infertility forums & have experienced some form of Infertility... though some of those are 'very' borderline) if you do the math.. that is over quota for 1 in 8 couples.


And they are JUST the ones I know about. Who knows how many of my other "friends" have also suffered, perhaps in silence? Perhaps I should change my status, just to see. Sometimes I think it would be nice to know more 'in real life' Infertiles* (gosh knows I know enough Fertiles!!!)   


*not that I don't just love my online Infertiles, you guys are the best!!! *



No comments: