Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Vampire Diaries {part 2}

This morning I had a date with the phlebotomist (aka Vampire) to test my liver functions rule out pregnancy (oh the irony... AF is upon me and here I am getting a preg test *sigh* ) prior to the big operation on Friday.

Keeping in mind how bad my last appointment with the Vampire was, I was adamant about not having a repeat episode. So after my morning coffee, I drank my full tupperware bottle of water (now this was rather hard to do so early in the morning as I just don't really do the whole water thing... I know, I know I really should be drinking at least 8 glasses of water each day and that has been drummed into me since day dot by my mother but I just can't drink it constantly without forcing it in) so I figured one bottle would be enough (heck it's more than I usually do) but on the way I erred on the side of caution & stopped in to buy a 2nd bottle, sipping away as I went in to donate.

Luckily I got myself a lady vampire (is it just me or do you find male vamps to be so much rougher with the needle jab? both men I've had just punch it right on in, whereas the ladies tend to ease it in... give me a lady vamp any day!) The lady vamp and I got chatting about my operation & as she primed my arm she says "Did you drink any water this morning" I reply with "yes of course, I drank a whole bottle this morning & am now onto my second" proud as punch with my effort. She then says "well there's nothing happening & it's too late to be drinking it now sweetie" Oh shee-it... No repeat. No repeat. No repeat.

However she was lovely as, she just goes ahead & re-primes my arm again, tightens that little strap around it real tight, apologising all the while and tells me to look that way while she looks this way. Next thing I feel a teeny tiny pin prick and it's done.

Why, oh why do I allow myself to get so worked up about needles and blood tests. I think the answer to my future anxiety over needles is to tell the needle wielding person to NOT tell me when they are going to stick me. If I don't know when it's coming, I don't know when to be getting anxious right? Well that's the plan. I'll let you know how I go with the anaesthetist on Friday hey?   



No comments: