Friday, June 3, 2011

Settling for less ~ Hobbies?

It's interesting. On the drive to Brisbane yesterday, DH and I were discussing hobbies or outside interests and how they impact on our lives. It all came about when I was talking about me and how I'm struggling to cope with all that is going on at the moment, the emotional wounds are too raw, I feel like curling up in a ball and just crying all day. But then I know I will be ok. I have had several things in my life that I've had to deal with and with strength I have managed to work my way through each issue, coupled with many tears, shouting, beer and willpower. I know I can do it again now, but I'm not quite ready to move on to that next step. I find myself stuck in this woe is me spiral and I think as much as I want to get out of it and start working on the end, I can't let it go. I still have hope. Deep down I still want to fight this as I'm not 100% convinced the battle is over and I am ready to surrender just yet.

As I was telling my husband that whatever the outcome, I think in the end I will be ok because I will find the strength to do so & I will also be happy.

His reply to this was of course you will, you have so many hobbies, outside interests that you will keep yourself busy doing things you love doing (like my photography, craft etc)

He then went on to say (he's a smart man my boy!) that sometimes people want things so desperately in life and have to settle for second best and they more than make up for it and can find the happiness within. It was then he went on to mention my late nan. She loved music and would have loved to sing. She couldn't. You see she was a Laryngectomy she couldn't speak, let alone sing. But she more than made up for it with her fantastic organ playing. She would belt out the tunes on Christmas Eve and everyone around her would sing (loudly and sometimes badly) and she had fun. Although she couldn't join in and make her voice heard, she played a bloody mean tune on the organ!!! She had incredible strength and I often think I couldn't have walked her path, so I should stop my whinging and whining and just get on with it ;)

I know personally, writing helps me immensely (what may appear as plain nattering to you, is actually helping me make sense of things) Just last night I scrolled back and read every post I had written on this blog and words written 3 months ago have helped me to see that {eventually} everything is gonna be ok.

So what do you think - do you think a good hobby, something that brings you happiness can help you settle for less? Ease your burden? Calm your mind?   


      



No comments: