Friday, September 16, 2011

Three Things#1 Exercise

During my first appointment we discussed the three main areas that are required achieve a suitable healthy balance in life (both physcially and mentally)



  • Sleep


  • Diet


  • Exercise   


Each of these can also help alleviate the pain associated with Endometriosis. Well actually I'm not sure the first is an actual written & known fact, but I know for me if I don't get ENOUGH sleep, I'm just a cranky old bi-atch!

Sleep I have pretty much covered most nights I average 8 hours.

Diet I am constantly working on (I feel I am always working on this area - the lure of caffeine and donuts is strong in me!)     

Then we come to exercise... Did I ever mention that I used to be a LONG distance runner. Yes. Me. And I was bloody good at it too. Cross country was my forte and each year I came in the top 10 of my age group (girls). I also was pretty good at the 800m and 1500m each sports day and most years I would get a ribbon on both or at least one.

Now remember I am in my mid 30's... so we are talking more than 15 years of NO sports or exercises at all. Occasionally we have gone through spurts of buying bikes or rollerblading and at one point I tried my hand at squash. In the stakes of complete and utter honesty, for the last 7 or so years, I've done more sitting on my butt and a bit of walking (a big day at the shops counts, does it not?) than actual exercise.

Until I tried my mum's Wii. I decided then and there I needed one too. My husband vetoed this idea for several months (he knows me too well) until he finally gave in about 8 months after my initial (and only) try on my mum's Wii. Quietly I think he felt sorry for me as it was approaching my birthday and I was scheduled to have the op the following week. So I went to the shops and bought a Wii and Wii Fit Plus and promised to practice every day. It lasted a week. Hey - in my defence, I went to hospital and then required recovery blah, blah, blah. And of course, every time I've wanted to jump back on it's either been too cold (excuses, excuses) or my daughter wanted to use the TV for her shows. Something had to change.

A few weeks ago, my beautiful man was throwing around ideas on how to fix our problem with TV vs DVD vs games and we came to the conclusion that we needed a separate TV and area designated for the games. Luckily we had the old plasma that got relegated to the office when we bought a new energy efficient TV, so it was no issue to bring it back to the house, move a few things around and buy a new cupboard for it. It has each of the game consoles set up, so all I need do now is move the coffee table and I have my own games room / work out area.   

IMG_9376

Two weeks later, I have spent time each day on the exercise regimes and have managed to put on a little weight (which is good - my goal is to gain 4.86Kgs to get me into the best BMI weight range for my height. I try and do at least 20 mins of Yoga each day and then a further 20 mins in the afternoons of the balance / aerobics. I haven't yet started on any muscle building - the yoga is enough to just about kill me :o and surprisingly even though it feels every muscle in my body is aching... I am now a "Yoga Trainer" on all but two poses. The other two I am "Yoga Master" so I must be doing something right. It's just a shame that my rhythm and balance are pretty much out in everything else... but I'm sure I will get there.

The best bit - I am feeling pumped. I feel good. I am struggling to fit everything in and desperately need to make myself a chart because some areas are now suffering. I am never going to be a Gym junky, but this feels right for me and what I needed right now. It's only a small step but who knows, if I can re-build my fitness just a little... I might end up challenging our friend to a weekly game of squash (the real thing... eeek!)   



1 comment:

Sarah Mac said...

Well done Car, glad you got the WII eventually.

I think we all beat ourselves up about not eating properly or exercising enough but the important thing is that you have found something that fits in with your lifestyle meaning you are much more likely to keep at it.

I really hope this does make a difference to your pain.x