Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Write on Wednesday - Songbird



Lyrics here

The Write On Wednesday Rules: Get creative with the writing exercises - there isn't a right or wrong. Please do try to visit the other members of Write On Wednesdays and leave a comment. You can grab the button for Write On Wednesdays from my sidebar.



Write On Wednesdays Exercise 16:
Hadge says: Take a favorite (or even random play) song and write the story behind the lyrics, not something inspired by the lyric, but the flesh on the bones of the story. It gives lots of scope for interpretative writing. Use the lyrics or theme of a song for a piece of flash fiction (50 to 200 words). To clarify, write your version of the story behind the lyrics in a song

*************************************************************
As she gazed up at him, she knew without a shadow of doubt she had finally found her home. After years spent shuttling between hospital and respite care, only to return home without her voice, finding her herself as a carer to her now aged and deaf mother and living in a world on the brink of war- she was finally home. It had been a harrowing few years. Yet she survived. Those difficult years with hunger a constant companion and fear that her fingers might simply drop off during the freezing winters, atop the mountain.


Her mother feared she was too young to marry her war hero, yet what she lacked in physical age she more than made up in with maturity and wisdom. Too many visions haunted her from her past childhood - things no child should ever be see or live with. Her strength like a stone statue would guide her like it had done over the years. Through the good times and the bad. She had stamina. She had her heart. Her soul. Her life.


Now she had found Love.


“We’ll do this properly when the war's over love.” he whispered as they stood in front of the judges desk.


“I have no doubt,” she whispered as she looked at him adoringly.


Her knight in shining armour, he was her saviour and her future. Nothing would stop them from creating & building their dream together. From here on in, she knew she belonged.

*************************************************************

This week, I am following on with my story from last weeks exercise. Thank you so much for all your comments on last week (keep them coming for this week hey?) and incase you hadn't worked it out, the child in last weeks' piece is now the young woman in this weeks exercise. Obviously things worked out, but there is still a lot more to her story to tell. As she is no longer with us, I am sketchy on actual details, so I am using these exercises each week to build a fictional story around an amazing woman.

I chose this song because it's a little special to me, we actually had this song playing at our wedding and it's one both my husband and I love! It wasn't released until well after the timeline of my piece, but I thought some of the lyrics were very apt as the moment these pair were married, the war was still raging. I'm not sure I accomplished fully what I personally wanted to achieve - but I would LOVE to hear your thoughts???

Constructive Criticism is welcomed and I hope I didn't cheap by actually incorporating some of the actual lyrics in my piece.

10 comments:

Sheri Bomb said...

I hope you won't be offended when I say I love the juxtaposition of the 'daggy 80s song' with such a classic piece of writing? I mean daggy 80s song in the best possible way (as they all are :P) Also, loved the little insight at the end that this song played at your wedding. One of my favourite things about music is the emotions and memories it has the ability to envoke. I thought this song lent itself well to your writing despite the obvious time discrepancies.

Stephanie said...

A lovely romantic piece of writing! That is sweet that this song played at your wedding. Those moments will last a lifetime.
Great job! :)

Sarah Mac said...

I love that you chose a song that had such a special meaning for you.

I'm also so glad that last weeks story had a continuation and that it's such a romantic one.

sarah said...

romance...love it - the complete opposite of the trauma tragic that is me! This song was a favourite of my sisters and I when we were kids so I was instantly drawn to it as soon as I jumped over to have a look. I love stories that trace back in time, makes me appreciate the stories that are stored inside of the older people around us, reminds me to ask more questions..loved it

Naomi said...

I love a bit of romance too! Looking forward to seeing if the story continues next week!

Tiffiny said...

I think it's wonderful that you incorporated the weeks story before into this weeks exercise. Nice piece of writing too, leaves me wanting to know more.

spring days, new growth said...

always love a "love conquers all story", well written,
Kate

InkPaperPen said...

I like that you are working on an ongoing story. As you ask for advice, I thought I would mention the use of overused phrases "a shadow of a doubt". Perhaps you could look at describing this feeling in a different way. Phrases like this, ones that we hear so often can feel a little empty in writing pieces. I mention this because it is something I always do in my writing and as I'm trying to wean myself off such phrases I keep an eye out for them! What do you think?

I like the background information, her harrowing childhood, being on top of a mountain, living through war. I'll look forward to the next installment!

Anonymous said...

… Unbelievable , but I just found software which can do all hard work promoting your endo-theroad.blogspot.com website on complete autopilot - building backlinks and getting your website on top of Google and other search engines 1st pages, so your site finally can get laser targeted qualified traffic, and so you can get lot more visitors for your website.

YEP, that’s right, there’s this little known website which shows you how to get to the top 10 of Google and other search engines guaranteed.

I used it and in just 7 days… got floods of traffic to my site...

…Well check out the incredible results for yourself -
http://autopilot-traffic-software.com

I’m not trying to be rude here, but I believe when you find something that finally works you should share it…

…so that’s what I’m doing today, sharing it with you:

http://autopilot-traffic-software.com

Take care - your friend George

Anonymous said...

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was
good. I do not know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you aren't
already ;) Cheers!

Also visit my page; Email Console ()