Monday, November 21, 2011

Diary of a NaNoWriMo - day 21

If anyone can find figure out where the weeks have gone in November that would be fantastic! Honestly it only feels like yesterday that I was writing up a few extra measly words on Day 7 and not many more on Day 8. FINALLY inputed them into the computer and here is the new total!

Day 7 and 8 - Words 920
Total Word Count 11,277

Dismal hey? On the bright side though, far better than sitting on 10,000! I honestly don't know how I'm going to go finishing this challenge, with only 9 days to go and finding time and life is getting rather busy (today for example I had EVERY intention of getting a tonne of stuff done, but by the time I've managed to finalise Assignment 1 for my creative writing course and get started on another section of the 2nd tutorial... well the day is nearly gone!) It is hot, my feet are swollen and I'm bloody tired.

I did however use the short story I wrote as part of my tutorial today as some of today's word count! Actually it's amazing how out of practice you get by not doing anything for 2 weeks. The prompt today was place beginnings. Basically we had to describe a place, the weather, the atmosphere, physical description and the smell. We then had to introduce someone either casually, violently happily etc. We were advised to write quickly. I wrote relatively slowly and came up with 535 words. It's on the same story I am writing for NaNoWriMo, but it really has no particular place in the story unless I somehow write it in as a moment of reflection perhaps? I'm not sure...

Day 21 - Words 535
Total Word Count 11,812

I did promise that I might share a few snippets of my NaNoWriMo journey along the way which I haven't done yet as to be honest I've not been entirely happy with the flow nor the descriptiveness of my work... but today, I want to share a little of today's exercise


Silence enveloped her as readily as the black clouds flitted across the bright yellow sun, leaving the world awash with a greenish hue. As suddenly as they arrived a blinding white flash, attracted to the earths magnetic force bore down and the world around her was bathed in an eerie glow. Her hair stood on end as the force of natures electricity connected a little too close for comfort and the silence was shattered by the enormous overhead rumbles and booms. A deafening crack nearby was a sure sign that a tree had been struck and in the momentary silence that followed she raised her arms high above her at one with the crackling atmosphere.

No comments: