Thursday, December 27, 2012

13/13 Reading Challenge

Little White Dove
 
Little White Dove has thrown down a reading challenge for the New Year - to read 13 books in 2013. A relatively simple challenge & you know how I LOVE challenges! 
 
2012 I managed to finish 31 books (finished to date) but I found my reading felt stagnant and I didn't extend much further than Vampire Lit or Chic Lit. Nice. Easy. Reading. Knowing that I can easily read 13 in 2013 I signed up for this challenge on ye old Crafty blog. Over there will be my every day reads (likely more vampire lit & chic lit) however Kylie asked to be challenged further and I've chosen to take up her extra challenge here on this blog. Because I really want to try and stretch my wings and read more variety this year as I think it will help with my writing course (as well there are books I should be reading for the course) 
 
A small selection of books that I 'might' read as part of the selected Genres. 
 
IMG 4288
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So without further adieu, here is the 13/13 challenge of genres that I am aiming to read. I will blog about my progress throughout the year.    
 
1) Mystery (1st to Die - James Patterson) 
 
2) Romance (The Road Home - Fiona Palmer) 
 
3) Thriller (Above Suspicion - Linda La Plante) 
 
4) Drama (To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee) 
 
5) Historical (The Secret River - Kate Grenville?) 
 
6) Fantasy (Dark Prince - Christine Feehan) 
 
7) sci-fi (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams) 
 
8) non Fiction (Down to Earth - Rhonda Hetzel) 
 
9) Graphic (Smallville S11, Ep1 Graphic Comic) 
 
10) autobiography (Lessons in Letting Go - Corinne Grant) 
 
11) motivational (feel the Fear and do it anyway - Susan Jeffers) 
 
12) religion / world view / spiritual (The art of Happiness - The Dalai Lama) 
 
13) poetry (The complete works of Banjo Patterson) 
 
I have placed in brackets a list of books I have selected that I think suits each genre, most are books I already own awaiting an opportunity to read or were suggested by friends. If you think any are not suitable for each genre - leave me a comment and offer me other suggestions!
 
I am looking forward to sinking my teeth in to these come January 1st!   

5 comments:

LittleWhiteDove said...

You will love Hitchhikers!!

Car said...

I do believe it was your recommendation Miss Dove!

Kylie said...

OK, I've read To Kill a Mockingbird, The Secret River, Hitchhikers and Lessons in Letting Go - enjoyed them all. Am still terrified of the motivational and spiritual genres.

stonepost said...

May I suggest one more book?
"West with the Night" by Beryl Markham
She only wrote this one book and then died. It makes no difference what it is about; she could write about changing oil and it would sound great. Read it for her descriptions, language. 1930's Africa, white girl out of place and growing up. She become a pilot among other things.
Certainly in the best "10" books that I have read! I will work through your list. Thanks for the suggestions!

Yvette Adams said...

I'm just browsing your blogs and this is an interesting one! I'm fascintated by you writing a book! And I love your selection of books from different genres. I like to think that I read a variety of books. I haven't read any graphic novels or poetry! I don't think I could, either! Good luck with them all! I haven't actually read any of those! Right now I'm reading Cloudstreet.