Sunday, January 20, 2013

13 in 13 Challenge… Book 2 - Drama

Little White Dove
 

Book #2 - 13 in 13 Challenge 

To Kill a Mockingbird 

Genre: Drama 

2657










Book number 2 for the Challenge issued by Miss Dove has been finished. I classed this book as "Drama" though it could has passed for historical as well, however for the sake of this challenge - I will leave it as my Drama Choice for this challenge.

Now I know Kylie is challenging herself to no 're-reads' in her genre challenge. I broke that ruling for this particular book, having read this book previously in high school English class. My reasoning for re-reading this book was because many of the writing courses on offers highly recommend you read this book before doing the course. I purchased it a few years ago, when I was exploring the possibility of doing an online writing course and it sat in my bookshelf mocking me and I could never make it much past the first page or two.

My other reason for wanting to re-read this book was because the first time I read it - I didn't like it AT ALL! I think being forced to read the book as homework, being forced to finish it to a deadline - I managed to skim read it in its entirety. I didn't remember much of the book as I slowly re-read it this past week.

Reading it again 20 years later, I still struggled. Though this time I did not skim read! I actually found it a little bit confusing as my knowledge of US history in the 30's is limited (so sue me, I studied Ancient History - Modern History did NOTHING to my interest levels in school!) I sometimes wonder if I would enjoy these type of books a little more had I a little more knowledge of the history before I began the reading. Though I am guessing that reading books like this, do give an insight into the history in some small ways.

Toward the end of the book, a solitary tear ran down my face - the thought that humans could be so inhumane toward each other because of skin colour. This shocked me greatly. I won't go into this too much because articulation seems to have gone packing today and I don't seem to be making much sense. 

All I will say is that this book made me think and reflect and I guess that is precisely why it has won such high awards in the past. I think perhaps I will read this again in another 20 years to remind me that everyone deserves equality. No matter what. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


After looking into a few of the articles on your web site, I seriously appreciate your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Take a look at my web site too and tell me how you feel.