Sunday, February 10, 2013

How I write!

Today I'm sharing how I write & yes, yes, yes… I know this is just another blatant PROCRASTINATION post! And I know you are sitting there going well DUH you sit at the computer and WRITE.

For me its not that simple.

There is the slight issue of distraction. I am easily distracted by new and shiny things (not convinced… go read my crafty blog!)

I STILL haven't found the answer to stop myself from checking Facebook, Twitter, Instagram while I'm on allocated study / writing time. Sure it would be easy to switch off electronic devices, but people still need to contact me right? Right? So my answer to this is to work in spurts. I write for 20 min sprints THEN I allow one check of Facebook. And so on. So far it is working for those times I'm using my iPad - but when I'm on the computer the temptation is usually far greater.

Until I stumbled across this awesome program! OMMWRITER Dana. If you do a lot of writing - be sure to check it out! I downloaded the Free version (I'm cheap like that) and I like it because it opens as a full screen (as in - if you are using a Mac - there is no dashboard appearing below to easily click on Safari or emails. You have to physically shrink down the OMMWRITER program to be able to access other areas. Removing this small temptation has done wonders for my attention span! 

 The screen is plain white with a few small trees in silouhette along the bottom. It counts the words as you type but it doesn't distract you by clicking over as each word is typed. It shows you after you finish and you move your mouse. And it has music. Though I don't usually use that option. I find silence is sometimes far better for me - but then I have a quiet house during the day due to our location and having no children at my feet!   

Screen Shot 2013 01 11 at 10 13 51 AM

No comments: