Monday, March 18, 2013

Planning, filing and Writing

Truth be told I am a fairly disorganised person. And as I get older, I get a little more forgetful each year. To combat these character traits, I tend to write lots of lists in order to complete day to day stuff. My husband thinks I should just get up off my backside and DO IT. I just say its easier said than done sometimes. Which is surprising because when I worked - I was a stickler for systems, sure my desk would be MESSY as. Yet strangely enough I ALWAYS knew exactly where everything was. Well mostly. 

The last few years I struggled with computer organisation - it did NOT help that my computers kept dying on me and I'd just get one sorted before it would die then everything would be transferred to the new one. When it came time to update to my Mac, I decided to start it fresh and save things correctly.

Here's what my writing folders look like. I number each folder from 00 - 100 and under each of those folders, I number the sub folders 00 - 100 too. This has helped with keeping my story relatively tidy in terms of where I"m up to.  

Screen Shot 2013 01 10 at 11 51 58 AM

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was finding at the end of last year, most of my writing prompts were mixed in with my story. As these prompts are usually 100 - 300 words and need a lot more work before they can be added to the story, I spent some time on the holidays removing them from my {MASTER} document which contains the first 30,000 words of my story.

Those small snippets from each Writing Prompt (usually the ones I share on this blog) have been added to a new document entitled Writing Prompts which is currently sitting at 4,200 words. 

Now the only thing I need is TIME to get back into the daily grind of writing. And to begin editing the first section. I've heard there is another camp fast approaching, but I'm on a few self-imposed deadlines at the moment and am unsure whether I have the drive in me to add an hour each day of much needed writing time.

Without the added fear of burning out completely (which I am right now. Burnt out) what do you think? 

  

No comments: