Friday, May 10, 2013

13 in 13 Challenge… Book 4 (a & b) - History

Little White Dove
 
 Book #4 - 13 in 13 Challenge 

DragonFly in Amber; Diana Gabaldon (book 2)  

Genre: History (part 2) 

5364







 

So remember back here - I bravely suggested I would read NOT ONE, but SEVEN books for the History genre for this challenge? I continued the challenge and it took me exactly ONE month to complete 964 pages of the 2nd book in this epic series.

The second book in this series, begins with Claire in the present day (but 20 years later) re-telling her epic love story into the past to her daughter Brianna. The book is broken down into 7 parts. It begins by introducing Roger, a Scottish Lad who agrees to do some research on the side for Claire. The historical research leads them to exploring different parts of Scotland which then gives Claire a chance encounter to tell the real story to Bree and Roger. It then jumps straight to the past and picks up where the first book left off - Jamie and Claire in France 1740s. I admit to struggling with the France sections as well the whole book - I don't know what it is but I ALWAYS seem to struggle with 2nd books in series such as these - perhaps its a case of being impatient and waiting for the good stuff to happen? Its still an awesome book, it just takes me longer to read.

The book eventually returns Jamie and Claire to Scotland where the battle of Culloden is to take place and ends on the cusp of the battle where she is sent back to the future, pregnant with his child.

Surprisingly considering I could NOT keep up watching the Back to the Future trilogies (are we back in the past or forward in the future… oh dear - send panadol, my head hurts!) I managed to keep a track of where we were in these books fairly easily. Interestingly enough… I have been banned from ever watching Back to the Future with my husband. Ever. Again. 

If you like French history - be sure to add this one to your collection. But be sure you read the first one first. 

**********************************************

 
 Book #4 - 13 in 13 Challenge 

Voyager; Diana Gabaldon (book 3)  

Genre: History (part 3) 

10987

       






 

Not to be deterred with the length of time I took to read the 2nd of the series. I immediately picked up Book 3 and started reading later into the night EVERY NIGHT. Not surprisingly I finished this one less than a week later! All 870 pages (& can I add that I own the bigger book format - not the small paperback!) 

This book is one of my favourites. The first section covers Jamie's life in the past as well as touching briefly on Claire's in the future over the past 20 years (confused yet?) Without giving away too much (you really HAVE to read the series) they are re-united. Well duh - there is 7 books… of course there was more to the story!

As this is my 3rd or 4th re-read of the series, I know what to expect but with so many pages and so many adventures - it feels like I'm coming home. The adventures and mishaps that befall them are out there (they make my life seem so BORING in contrast!) 

Each part of this book has been weaved into smaller sections, it is easy to read and easy to keep track of the year you are reading about. It also introduces another new character Ian (Jamie's Nephew) who is one of my all time favourites!  I will warn you - there are MANY characters in these books. I also own the Outlandish Companion (the guidebook on everything in this series) and there is no joke 28 pages of character names who appear at some stage in these sagas. PAGES people. Not characters. There is also a list of group names who crop up but are not integral to the story. Surprisingly (again) it is not too difficult to keep track of them all. 

**********************************************

So the big question is - now that I've completed 3 parts of 7 in the History Genre. Can I finish the other 4 books PLUS my other 9 genres by the end of the year.

And since I'm HUGE on challenges. Oh come now - have you gleaned NOTHING from my inane blog posts over the years? Who would like to challenge me to a dual. No not a dual (though there is a great dual in the 2nd book of this series if you cared to read them!) no, no. Who wants to challenge me to read the Companion guide from cover to cover. All 577 pages to be added to the History Genre… ??? 

2 comments:

Kylie said...

Go on, do it, you know you want to! :)

Bec Clarke said...

Wow I didn't realise you were doing all of them for the genre, you are crazy, it took me nearly a year to read all 7 but that was with some others in between.
Good luck!!!!