Monday, May 13, 2013

Good English and All…

Last week I pulled out my {nearly forgotten about} manuscript. Gently blowing off a layer of dust, I sat and stared at page after page of words. Unedited words. I uttered several profanities before dropping a quick note to my number one fan lamenting that when I started out - I just wrote. I didn't think about Paragraphs. Or spelling. Or good grammar.

Overwhelmed, I nearly shoved the whole darn thing back in the cupboard - but a little cheering on by my cheer squad, some minor planning in my calendar and I was back on track. 20 pages require major editing INCLUDING paragraphing - where does one start? With a list of course. A basic list. First things first Paragraphs. Then Spelling. Followed by Grammar. Earmark a few chapters and then create the sections.

A beginner writer should know all this. Yet when I started this story, it became my lifeline - my chance to prove I had confidence to tackle something huge. To turn a life long dream into a reality. A little hope that I was destined for something more in life. So I sat and I wrote.  Words kept forming, until they became unruly and I had to stop for fear of over-extending myself when it came to the editing.  

P5130019

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next month is JuNoWriMo  (basically NaNaWriMo in June) and I've decided to give it another whirl. Again I will be adding words to my existing story and although the full target is 50,000 words in one month - I will be happy if I can churn out between 10-20K words. Adding yet another solid section to my story. Though whether I can keep up remains to be seen - I am absolutely flat out with my other studies at the moment. 

So the plan for the remaining days of May is to edit at least a page per day. Once I do this, I will be able to lay out the story and get a better sense of direction I'm headed and hopefully that will open up the confidence to add more words, rather than fear writing more words.  

 Over the weekend we caught up with my folks and I had to giggle when my mum gifted me this book. She must have read my mind and realised I REALLY needed something like this to motivate me with those edits! 

P5130014

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been surfing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It's pretty worth enough for
me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be a lot more useful
than ever before.

My webpage - frances bean cobain facebook

Anonymous said...

Heya fantastic blog! Does running a blog like this require a
lot of work? I have no expertise in programming however
I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
Anyway, should you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share.

I understand this is off subject however I just wanted to ask.
Many thanks!

Also visit my web blog - vakantiehuisjes frankrijk

Anonymous said...

Hi, after reading this remarkable paragraph i am too glad to share my experience here with
friends.

Feel free to surf to my web site web page

Anonymous said...

Great post however , I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject?
I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Bless you!

my webpage - vakantievilla zuid frankrijk ()

Anonymous said...

Incredible! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!

Here is my web blog - vakantiehuizen