Friday, August 23, 2013

Reading #challengecomplete

Remember I signed up for a read along winter challenge?  

IMG 4059

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And then I went a bit crazy (as only I can) by setting up a great big long reading schedule

Then if that wasn't enough - I ADDED to said challenge? Come on, I should really be given extra, extra bonus points for that type of dedication right? 

Well the past three months have sped by and I am here to share that I did in fact meet all challenge laid down.

1) read the book "Pride and Prejudice"

* It took me nearly the full three months to read it, partly because I was slack, mainly because I never found the time to fully concentrate and because I really and truly struggled with the language. It is the type of book that is written in such a way that you really need to think because the sentences are formed differently. While it was good for me to finally sit and read a classic, I daresay the timing for my brain power (or lack there of) couldn't have been worse. I've been so busy with all my studies, that I have lacked brain power for anything other than nice easy reads. So this one was a real slog for me. 

*I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it - because I did. I actually found one morning while sitting at Maccas awaiting my parents arrival for a coffee, that I was so engrossed in one particular section of the book that I didn't realise they were there until they were peering over the book laughing that I was miles away. I think that maybe promising?

* The book is split into three parts. Have you ever walked through mud where your gumboots get stuck so fast they either stay there and your foot comes flying out & / or you end up on your arse in the mud it is that thick. Thats a little how I felt with the first part. I would be traipsing forward having glossed over a full page and then have to go back and re-read it so that I had a gist of where it was going! In the end I set a mini-challenge to sit in the sunshine while the girl and dog played and I read 10 pages at a time then gave myself a mini Facebook break in between. This got me through the first part, but I won't tell you that between that and watching LBD took me the greater part of a day.

* Part two was a little easier going on my mind, though I felt I would have struggled had I not been watching LBD alongside it. That reading schedule helped me immensely because I could relate what happened in the book to a more shall we say current state of events. 

* Would I read the book again? I honestly can't say. While I did find myself being swept away with the storyline once the language started gelling for me, I really can't say for sure - it was not the type of book that I could escape into and having a noisy family yapping around me made it that much harder to concentrate. Maybe one day when I'm old and all is quiet I will re-attempt it! 

2) watch the "Lizzie Bennet Diaries" found on you-tube

* I had seen these before, but decided for the sake of the challenge, that I would re-watch them. I followed the reading / viewing schedule (linked above) and I enjoyed comparing the modern day production to the old style of the book as well as vice versa.

* Going out on a limb here and stating for the record… (& please don't judge me!) that if it weren't for the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, I would not have been able to endure reading Pride & Prejudice.   

3) watch a Pride & Prejudice movie (or the BBC miniseries)

* I watched the Keira Knightly (who I love) version of the P&P Movie and I quite enjoyed it

* While there were some parts I didn't quite understand originally, they have since made sense after finishing the book.   

* I also went out on a limb and watched Bride & Prejudice - the Bollywood version. It was funny but like the other one, there were parts I didn't quite follow. Also I struggled to keep track of which sister was which as they had changed the names to suit the Bollywood style.  

4) choose and declare the BEST Darcy EVER for bonus points.

* Hands down - Darcinator from Lizzie Bennet Diaries #FTW 

So there you have it, one challenge finished with just over a week to spare. The next challenge has been set #Emma but I have opted to sit this one out as one original for 2013 is more than enough for me. As well while I've been busy reading this book; I've not had a chance to read any others!  
 

4 comments:

LittleWhiteDove said...

DARCY!!! #swoon

Kylie said...

Thank you so much for taking part and we'll done on getting through the book. Like you I struggle with the classics so completely get where you are coming from. If you get the chance, watch the BBC series. It really does such a better job than the movie.

Kylie said...

Thank you so much for taking part and we'll done on getting through the book. Like you I struggle with the classics so completely get where you are coming from. If you get the chance, watch the BBC series. It really does such a better job than the movie.

becanne said...

You know what we forgot?
To watch 'Lost in Austen'. Got to see if you haven't.