Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Babysitters

A few months back, curled up on the lounge I started surfing the net on my iPad. I decided to take a nostalgic trip down memory lane and typed in The Babysitters Club. Well blow me down if it doesn't pop up that the author struck up a deal to get some of the books re-published as ebooks.

Now I LOVED these books as a "tween" and received my first ever copy in Grade 6 from book club. I thought I was all kinds of awesome - the pretty pink cover, the cool characters and ZOMG Claudia had a PHONE in her BEDROOM! I so wanted a phone in my bedroom but alas my parents never delivered. Sad panda here. 

Knowing my first ever copy was stored in the roof along with the others I collected over the years - I threw down a challenge with my likeminded girls and they were keen to join in. Then I promptly forgot all about said #challenge until someone reminded me last week, so I popped over to KOBO (sick of waiting for Hubby to get up in the ceiling) and I purchased the first ever Super Special for $5.17.  

26 Baby Sitters Club

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So does the book live up to my expectations of how "cool" it was back in the day? Well…  

While I wasn't completely riveted to my seat not able to put it down, I enjoyed a little trip back in time. It bought up old feelings of how much I really wanted to jump on a cruise and visit Disney World (not Disney Land) The book was easy to read as one would expect from "young adult" even with a glaringly obvious mistake on one page that I can't remember seeing when I read it the first time way back in the late 80's!

The Verdict: would I read this one again? Say in another 30 years time?
I don't think so! One trip down memory lane was more than enough. I might be swayed to re-read the first one I ever received in a few years when its time to pass the baton and hand over that box full of dusty, musty books for my daughter.   

3 comments:

LittleWhiteDove said...

I'd forgotten too! I'll get mum to get one for me :)

Kat McNally said...

Hello Car!
How are you travelling? Can you believe we're on the cusp of December?
I thought you might like to know that I am hosting Reverb again this year. It'd be a privilege to have you join us.
Everything you need to know can be found at: http://www.katmcnally.com/p/reverb13.html
We kick off on Sunday and it is going to be AMAZING. Hope to see you there!
Kat xxx

sjp said...

Its like watching movies from your childhood and thinking, this was way more exciting when I was younger! But they're still always good :)