Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Step away - CRAZY Woman

It has been said before - I’m sure it will be said many times in my future - I AM a little CRAZY.

This latest idea of mine is NO exception.
Maybe its the head cold making me do it.
Perhaps it’s the awesome cold & flu capsules I’ve popped.
Chances are - I’m just plain crazy.
Yet I cannot budge this crazy idea from my mind.

P3180901-2014-03-18-12-10.JPG

I alluded to new story ideas back in August and again in September. One of those stories keeps on resurfacing. After noticing a few signs I decided to heck with it and yesterday I found myself buying the final item I needed - and I am going to jump in with both feet. It feels like a madness - tell me I’m not mad?

Last year I purchased two books from Book Depository; the first was No Plot? No Problem! written by the founder of NaNoWriMo. I am 3/4 of the way through the book and found it really inspiring. While I know now that with everything else happening in life - 50K words in a month is not feasible for me - but I do know that I can write. I love to write.

The second book was the one pictured above Ready Set Novel! Now I did briefly consider using this for the novel I have already started to write, but at 60K words already - it feels a bit silly to start over plotting it.

Armed with these two books, I found this composition book at Officeworks while shopping for Back to School. I know NOT how it fell into my basket - only that I’m kicking myself on not buying MORE when I had the chance. This new crisp book has been awaiting my attention. I put it aside not knowing what I could use it for. I briefly entertained the idea of giving it to my daughter as they are identical to the Monster High Dolls Diaries (actually when she hears of what I plan to do with this - she will be most upset, so I will need to invest in another book or two in the near future!)

The next sign arose after reading a Roald Dahl book to my daughter, at the back of the book it had this section about his writing life - how he used to write and where he wrote. Now CRAZY would be me asking Hubby to build me my very own writing hut in our backyard; just like Roald. And while I have no doubt he would do it if I used just the right amount of wheedling voice - I am turned off by the thought of our resident snake population who would LOVE that little writing shack for their homes…

Noway I’m sharing a writing hut with a snake!

Did you know that Roald Dahl would write his books in yellow pencil on yellow legal pads. Those new pink pencils didn’t fall into my shopping cart accidentally!

Imagine the beauty of handwritten pencil words, written in the same book, year after year.

And that my friends is how I know I have really, truly turned bat shit crazy. So the question should be - should I do it???

3 comments:

becanne said...

Of course you bloody should. I want first draft ready for quilt camp.

Erin Quinn said...

I think I read the same book this weekend! My favourite thing was that Roald was so regimented in how he structured his day writing - cup of tea , out to the shed, lunch at bang on 12 and then out to the shed, 4 o'clock and it's time for inside and gin :-)
As far as where're you should or shouldn't you know you should! Your inspired and excited and that is the place to start. Just so long as you're not quoting the first one because it got too hard... :-)
E xxxx

Sarah said...

Of course you should, don't let those pink pencils go to waste! Looking forward to hearing how you get on x